Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Viva la Mexico!


After arriving in Phoenix from Oklahoma City, I had a 3 hour sit before doing a Cabo turn. I was the pilot not flying on the leg down there, and had the pleasure of doing all the communication with the Mexican ATC. The echo in their heavily accented voices made me think they were sitting in a very small room somewhere, speaking into a soup can connected to an antenna via a piece of string- but I'm sure that's not the case! I hope...

Luckily I had years of experience listening to foreign teachers in college (ha, those were the best classes), and things went fairly smooth with only one or two "Huh? What did he say?" moments between the Captain and I.

A lot of times we have to wait for the rampers/marshallers to 'guide' us into the parking spot, but that certainly wasn't the case in Cabo. The rampers were waiting, and after all of the passengers had gotten off, the plane was literally swarmed by cleaning personnel. My Captain jokingly said, "This is where we bring our planes to get them cleaned". Makes me wonder if she was actually joking or not!

And one more surprise for the trip: We had the pleasure of having our CEO and another member of the board of directors on our flight back to Phoenix. My leg, my landing- but everything went well. Oh, except for the guy in the back that got sick and threw up all over himself! Shouldn't drink the water in Mexico, I suppose!

1 comment:

Davey said...

I must say that this is by far the very best and most outstanding blog I have ever read!!! (did I mention that I have never read anyones blog before...) Anyway this is pretty cool I finally got a chance to look at this now that you ditched me here at the airport. haha, anyway nice to know your actually flying around with more than one person on your planes, perhaps someday I will accept the fact that someone somewhere trusts you with millions of dollars of equipment and the lives of hundreds. I'll be pretty bored when I'm up in WI for these next couple of weeks so perhaps I shall start my own blog. The only difference will be that mine will feature tales from the exciting lands of flagstaff and beyond! Not quite as exciting as Vegas and Mexico but I must say a very close second.