Saturday, February 16, 2008

Sin City


I was scheduled to sit normal reserve from noon to midnight yesterday, and walked down the street to the grocery store in the morning to pick up some food for the time I'll be in Phoenix. Well, I got a call around 11:00am, saying that I had been reassigned to sit 'ready reserve' in the airport from 12:00pm-10:00pm. So I packed all my stuff up in case I would be assigned a 3 or 4 day trip.

So I sat in the crew room, watching tv and surfing the net on my laptop until I got a call from crew tracking notifying me of a trip that I had been assigned. Phoenix-Austin-Las Vegas and a deadhead back to Phoenix. Supposed to leave Phoenix at 4:24pm, and get back to Phoenix at 2:15am! And I had been at the airport since 12:00pm! Well, after arriving at the gate for departure, we were delayed, switched planes, switched gates 3 times, and finally left Phoenix at 5:45pm.

Had an awesome lightning show as there were thunderstorms around Austin, but luckily they weren't too close and just provided some rain and gusty winds. Arrived late in Austin, and rushed to do a quick turn to make up time. Ended up leaving Austin 15 minutes late, and getting into Las Vegas a few minutes late as well. Tried to catch some sleep on the short deadhead back to Phoenix, and ended up getting back to my room at 3:00am.

Now I'm sitting ready reserve again (since noon), and have a Phoenix-Memphis turn with a layover there tonight, leaving at around 8:00pm. Three hours there, and three and a half back tomorrow, arriving around 5:00pm, and then sitting reserve until midnight! One thing I've learned: Sitting reserve sucks! Oh well, happy to be flying...

No comments: