Sunday, February 17, 2008

4000 pph


Left Memphis this morning enroute to Phoenix, 3:25 flight with a 90 knot wind on our nose, and 84 people in the back. Our fuel flow was roughly 1950 lbs per hour, for each engine. That's about 11 gallons per minute (a gallon of Jet A weighs about 6 lbs). With the headwind, we were doing about 400 knots across the ground... that's about 1.65 gallons per nautical mile! We had a total burn of over 10,000 lbs of gas, and you wonder why fuel is one of the highest costs for an airline!

One of our flight attendants was the funniest, more outgoing guys I've ever met. He had a whole skit that he did for the passengers to make the flight less boring- with different voices, songs, trivia and so on. It was also his last trip, as he's got a gig as the voice of a squirrel in an animated movie coming out in the near future. He was truly hilarious, the Captain and I were listening to his briefing to the passengers as we taxied out, and we couldn't stop laughing.

Thought I was going to go back to my hotel in Phoenix and sit reserve for the rest of the night, but I had a voicemail and my phone was ringing as I was finishing the post-flight walkaround. Crew tracking: 'You've got a dead head leaving for Oklahoma City right now; they're waiting for you. You'll fly back to Phoenix in the morning, do a Cabo (as in Mexico!) turn, and finish in Phoenix at 6:16pm' Too bad I've only got :50 minutes in Cabo!

So I'm in Oklahoma City now, y'all, and planning on catching the red-eye back to Charlotte after my flights tomorrow... then two days off! Maybe I can finally finish unpacking my stuff when I'm home... but probably not! Not looking forward to the 6 days of reserve after that, but hopefully I'll get assigned some cool trips. More to come then!

No comments: